LNCs ask me all the time: “How can I get business if I don’t have money to spend (because I don’t have business). How can I promote an LNC business?”
First, let’s be clear that starting and running a business takes money. It is unrealistic to think you can start and build a business without making an investment in materials, branding, a website or a business coach.
Items to promote an LNC business
Using business promotion materials is a common way to promote an LNC business. It’s been done for a long time because it actually works. These materials are called business premiums. Give them to clients to use so that they don’t forget about you.
* Branded Envelopes – Getting branded envelopes isn’t much more expensive than getting regular envelopes, but when you send out mail, it will make a difference. The recipient will see your branding on that envelope whether he opens the mail or not. Your branded envelope may have your logo on it or be a different color to stand out.
* Baseball caps – While buying shifts of different sizes can b e risky due to variations in sizes, consider baseball caps with your logo. Caps are a universal size and popular with men and women.
* Coffee Mugs – Even if people don’t drink coffee, a branded mug is something they generally appreciate because they can use it for a number of things – even as a paperclip holder if they want to. A lot of people even collect mugs. I’ve given out blue glass mugs branded with my LNC logo and website.
* Mouse Pads – Everyone uses mouse pads, so they make a great way to promote your brand. The people using it will see your logo on a daily basis and think of you. Having your business on the top of their mind, even if subconsciously, is a huge win.
* USB Sticks – Put articles about your LNC business on the USB stick – the benefits of working with you, a list of your services, a description of your company… It’s a great way to use something that is also inexpensive.
* Sponsorships – This might not seem inexpensive, but you can find local charities to support that don’t cost much to sponsor but that will get your name out into the community – and perhaps even on a speaker’s list. Usually they’ll take your brochures, flyers and other premiums as well to give out to people. Don’t overlook the local Chamber of Commerce.
* Freebies and Giveaways – You can give away all kinds of materials be effective to promote an LNC business. Make sure you have your key contact information on your giveaway: the name of your business, your website and phone number. Flashlights, pens, letter openers, first aid kits are all common giveaways. What can you pick that is different?
Send each of your top clients and prospects a small gift consisting of items you would give away at a conference. Wrap them and put them in a nice box to stand out.