Finding hot topics for your LNC Book gives you a better chance of writing something people will gravitate to and provide you an opportunity to increase your sales.
Let’s begin with clarity on what “hot topic” means. I’m assuming you’re not writing the latest tell-all about the Trump administration or a biography of a popular screen or recording star. These topics are hot, but usually, they demand a quick write because such subjects often fall in interest as quickly as they arise.
That means you’re looking for a subject that will have a longer-term interest.
Here are some examples of such issues:
- The anti-vaccination movement. While this subject has ebbs and flows in prominence, it is likely to be controversial for a long time.
- The larger issue of what causes autism and why it’s on the rise.
- Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia. This issue concerns most people, whether or not they are directly affected by it.
- Cyber-bullying and bullying in school.
- The increase in hate crimes.
- Electronic addictions. This one’s not going away.
- The impact of pandemics
- PTSD. This issue has many aspects and affects many people.
- In addition, many self-help topics are hot.
Search Amazon Find Hot Topics for Your LNC Book
This will tell you what’s selling. In the search bar type “Nonfiction bestsellers 2018.”Be sure to type “nonfiction” first. Otherwise, you’ll also get fiction.
Note: Ignore the books marked as “sponsored.” These are not necessarily best-sellers or even non-fiction. The authors or publishers have placed ads.
The list includes a wide array: memoirs, histories, biographies, self-help, etc. You’ll see how huge the range of non-fiction is.
If you are trying to decide between two subjects, type each into the search bar.
When I entered “causes and prevention Alzheimer’s,” many titles came up. One was The Alzheimer’s Solution. I scrolled down to check the book’s ranking in the Amazon store.
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #61,839 Paid in Kindle Store
- 36 in Alzheimer’s Disease
- 14 in Nervous System Diseases
- 40 in Alzheimer’s
#61,836 does not sound like a high ranking, but, remember, this is a specialized subject. The following rankings are pretty good. Given that the synopsis states that over 47 million people worldwide are living with Alzheimer’s disease, I believe that this can be considered a hot topic.
Words Wound: Delete Cyberbullying and Make Kindness Go Viral, one of the top entries when I searched for “cyberbullying,” has far less impressive rankings.
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #$1,129,200 Paid in Books
- 158 in Being a Teen
- 86 in Teen & Young Adult Bullying Issues
If you couldn’t decide between these topics, you can see which has a better chance of being popular—if you find your unique take on Alzheimer’s disease. However, it also means that the world may be ready for a good book about cyberbullying, again with a unique approach.
In choosing, you need to decide whether you want to connect your book to a hot trend or to carve out something new.
Other Ways to Find Hot Topics for Your LNC Book
The following are more random methods.
See what’s featured on CNN, by which I don’t mean the news of the day. You can find mention of cultural and health issues.
Do the same for Facebook.
An underutilized social media platform is medium.com, where people write about an infinite range of subjects. Medium has a search engine. Type in your subject, and it will return a list of articles on that subject.
You can gauge the popularity of an article by the number of claps. The bottom of the article will show a hand and a number.
I saw quite a few articles on Alzheimer’s, and several had over 1K claps. Cyberbullying articles, despite the high level of social media sophistication of Medium visitors, had received a minuscule number of claps.
It’s crucial for you to do this kind of research. Whether you decide on the super-highway or the road less traveled, you can make a more informed choice as to what topic you find most compelling.
- Would you like a step by step process for writing your book, one that removes all the guess work?
- Wouldn’t it be helpful to know exactly what to do to start your book (so that you finally start it)?
- Would you love to remove the risk that no one would want to read your book?
You are in the right place.
- You’ll get tips on how to manage your time so you will be able to complete your book.
- Imagine how you will feel when you make an impact on others with your knowledge and open the doors to your bigger life.
- You’ll revel in the joy of completing your book and getting a profound sense of accomplishment.
Join Pat and other budding authors for Book Authoring Mastery: Write Your Book to Grow Your Business. Get the details at this link.
Pat Iyer is president of The Pat Iyer Group, which develops resources to assist LNCs obtain more clients, make more money and achieve their business goals and dreams.
Pat’s related websites include the LNC business coaching services she offers through LNCAcademy.com, the continuing education provided on LNCEU.com, the podcasts broadcast at podcast.legalnursebusiness.com, and writing tips supplied at patiyer.com.
Get all of Pat’s content in one place by downloading the mobile app, Biz Edu at www.legalnursebusiness.com/bizedu. Watch videos, listen to podcasts, read blogs, watch online courses and training, and more.